Michael Muraz is an international award-winning architecture photographer, bringing technical precision and creative passion to his fine art and commercial work. Based in Toronto, Michael travels extensively, exploring cities and buildings with his camera. He creates emotionally stirring images that celebrate the most engaging details of the spaces he shoots.
Michael was born in France and originally trained to be an engineer. While studying abroad, he began to teach himself the technical aspects of photography simply to improve his own travel snapshots. He soon fell in love with photography as an artform and with architecture as a subject matter, discovering a craft that satisfies both his analytical and artistic sensibilities.
Architecture + Photography
Michael’s work is built on the belief that architecture and photography are deeply linked. Both are about light and space, both are a combination of artistry and technology.
The earliest known photograph is of a building, and now, in the age of social media, photography has become an important part of architectural experience. We often encounter images of new buildings before we see the real thing.
Photographs have the power to shape how a building is understood: light can change the mood, composition creates a sense of scale and context, an empty space can be made ominous or inviting. Michael’s images ask viewers to take a fresh look, revealing captivating details and angles they might otherwise miss.
Before / After
When appropriate, Michael uses advanced lighting techniques to enhance the interior design or the architecture of your space.
Michael's high-end retouching is a key part of his process to obtain the final images. The two examples below illustrate his skills to remove or introduce objects in his clients' images.
- Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates
- Pei Cobb Freed & Partners
- HOK Canada
- Diamond Schmitt Architects
- Hariri Pontarini Architects
- KPMB Architects
- WZMH Architects
- BNC Architects
- Oxford Properties Group
- Bentall Kennedy
- The Walsh Group
- Graywood Developments
- Park Property Management
- Quadrangle Architects
- Claude Cormier + Associés
- Christian Dior Couture
- IWC Schaffhausen
- Piaget North America
- Cushman & Wakefield
- The House of Commons
- One King West Hotel
- Lukas Design Interiors
- Bondfield Construction
- The HIDI Group
- Blackwell Structural Engineers
Michael is an active member of the Professional Photographers of Canada (PPOC). He is a nationally-accredited architectural photographer by PPOC. This means that he has “reached a nationally accepted standard of proficiency and knowledge in photographic arts” and that he has demonstrated his “capability of delivering image excellence” in architecture photography, which it sets him apart “as being an industry leader”.
Michael has received a number of international awards for both his commercial and fine art work:
- Honorable Mention in the Architecture category for the series “White” – Prix de la Photographie de Paris
- Honorable Mention in the Architecture category for the image “Light Wave” – Prix de la Photographie de Paris
- Honorable Mention in the Architecture category for the image "Flamingo" – Prix de la Photographie de Paris
- Gold Medal in the Landscape category for the series “Empreintes” – Prix de la Photographie de Paris
- 2nd Place in Architecture: Building for the series “Ismaili Centre” – International Photography Awards
- Bronze Award in Built Environment for “Loving You” from the series "Empreintes" – Epson International Pano Awards
- Bronze Award in Built Environment for “Passing Time" from the series "Empreintes" – Epson International Pano Awards
- Bronze Award in Built Environment for “Standing Tall” from the series "Empreintes" – Epson International Pano Awards
- Bronze Award in Built Environment for “Killing Softly” from the series "Empreintes" – Epson International Pano Awards
- Honorable Mention in Architecture: Cityscapes for the series “Empreintes” – International Photography Awards
- Honorable Mention in the Architecture: Buildings category for the series “Four” – International Photography Awards
- Honorable Mention in the Architecture: Other category for the series “Overlap” – International Photography Awards
- Honorable Mention in the Architecture: Interiors category for the series “Round” – International Photography Awards
- Honorable Mention in the Fine Art category for the image “Swell” – Stark Awards
Michael’s work has been published in various magazines and websites:
- Spacing Magazine - "City Within A Park" - Trillium Park
- Toronto Life - "With Two St. Thomas, Yorkville gets a chic rental building with hotel-style amenities"
- The Globe And Mail - "How Women's College Hospital is transforming care for women's cancers"
- designboom - "studio libeskind shapes holocaust monument in ottawa as an abstract six-pointed star"
- Archdaily - "Albion Library / Perkins+Will Canada"
- Canadian Facility Management & Design - "CIBC Mellon adds Mississauga office"
- Bisnow - "A Look Inside CIBC Mellon's New Mississauga Office"
- HIMSS magazine - Humber River Hospital
- Divisare - "World Trade Center Transportation Hub Oculus. New York"
- Canadian Architect - "Environmental Sciences Building opens at University of Toronto Scarborough"
- Diamond Schmitt Architects - "A new kind of lab opens at University of Toronto"
- UrbanToronto - "Diamond Schmitt Design Captures Imagination—and Earth's Energy—at UTSC"
Blog and community
Michael manages Another Angle, a photography community around his blog and his publications (ebooks, videos). Interacting with the photography community is very important to him. As a self-taught professional photographer, he enjoys giving back with tutorials and tips for photographers.